Fast Track to Java 17 and OO Development: Lab Setup Instructions (Mac OS: Java 17 and IntelliJ)
Below are the standard requirements for this course. If you have any questions or issues, please contact us.
Important Note: Student lab files are required on each computer used for the course. The links for these are not in this lab setup, and you should receive them separately.
- It’s a good idea to keep downloaded software install files on the machines during the class in case of problems that require a re-install.
- Cloning a setup is generally not a problem. If it is, we’ll mention it in the software section (for example, much of the IBM/RAD-WAS software can be problematic in this regard).
Hardware and classroom setup.
Each student and the instructor shall have a workstation that fulfills the listed requirements.
- Required: Intel-compatible processor (with reasonably recent hardware).
- Memory: 8GB min recommended
- Disk Space: Free disk space for software installs (generally minimum 2GB)
- Operating System: One of the following.
- Mac OS: Any relatively recent version - lab instructions are generally geared for Windows users, but Mac users should be able to adapt fairly easily. If shell scripts are provided for labs, they generally are provided in both Windows and *nix variants.
- Linux: The labs should run under Linux, but we do not test under Linux, nor directly support it. If you have problems or questions, feel free to reach out, and we’ll do our best to help.
- Recommended: Internet access
- Recommended: Class machines networked together - allows students to access a shared network directory.
- Required: Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Required: One of either Safari browser, Firefox browser (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/) or Chrome browser (https://www.google.com/chrome/).
Lab Files: Each student and instructor must have lab files installed (links to these files are generally sent separately via e-mail).
- Extract the lab files to a location conveniently accessible to the student (e.g. the student’s home directory )
- If using folder other than the student’s home directory, make sure that students know where they are.
Other instructor requirements for the classroom
- Projector or large screen TV capable of 1280x800 or higher resolution. Instructor must be able to use this to project slides.
- Whiteboard (preferred) or flip charts with markers.
Install Java Development Kit – JDK 17
- Note that any JDK 17 version should work fine. Other close Java versions should be fine also (e.g. Java 16 or 18) but have not been tested.
- We will use the adoptium.net download. This is the OpenJDK distribution that is managed by the Eclipse Foundation.
- We've found this to be very reliable, easy to install/use, and with no restrictive licensing terms.
- Try the Direct link first:
- If you have problems with the direct link, go to https://adoptium.net/releases.html
- Select the Temurin 17 (LTS) radio button
- In the dropdowns, select the MacOS Operating System and the Architecture (x64 for Intel-based Macs, or aarch64 for Arm-based Macs )
- Click the link to download the ".pkg" file
- Save the file where you can easily get to it
- Run the installer and take all defaults.
- Create or modify environment variables. This will add an environment variable JAVA_HOME, and modify your path to include the jdk bin folder
- Done by modifying .bash_profile in the user’s home folder
Open a terminal prompt, type the below, and press Enter
You should get a message that tells you the version . If the command is not found, you did something wrong.
- Close the terminal prompt. You’re done installing Java
Install IntelliJ IDEA Community (2021 version)
Instructions are for Version 2021.2.3. Any 2021.2.x version should work, but best to stick with 2021.2.x versions - IntelliJ changes it's IDE frequently, and if the version differs from what the lab instructions were written to, this may be confusing to students.
NOTE: IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate (2021.2 versions) will also work fine, if you are using that.
- Direct Download: Download ideaIC-2021.2.n.dmg - the installer file for MacOS
- If the above link does not work, the main download page is: https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/
- From the main download page, make sure the Mac tab is selected on the top left.
- Click the Download button under the Community header, and save the downloaded file.
- Important NOTE: If the downloaded file version is NOT 2021.2 (e.g. it's 2021.3 or 2022.x) then go to https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/other.html and find and download a 2021.2 version for Windows.
- Double click on the downloaded file (named something like ideaIC-2021.2.3.dmg), which opens up a standard Mac installer
- In the installer, drag the IntelliJ IDEA CE.app icon to the Applications folder icon
- Nothing else needs to be done to install IntelliJ